Nb. 461 ‘FWN Arctic’ meets the elements
On Thursday the 25th of May, 11.00 hrs, our Nb. 461 was launched in Leer.
Nb. 461 named as ‘FWN Arctic’ is the second vessel in a series of two that will be delivered to Forestwave Navigation. These vessels are an evolution of the successful ‘Ecobox’ and ‘Ecobox DP’ series that the yard already build over the recent years.
The new Ecobox XL design has its focus on loading extra long items, such as windmill blades, while at the same time still maintaining her good capabilities as a general cargoship. The modifications in design and systems are also aimed to further enhance her excellent ‘green’ performance with a reduction of her EEDI-score to a new class reference standard.
Therefore the original Ecobox design is lengthened by more than 21 mtr, extending her box shaped hold to more than 100 mtr length on the tanktop, and 112 mtr above the movable tweendeck level. The new ships are 18 mtrs wide, enhancing her cargo deadweight further, and maintaining here flexibility of loading while keeping a very low resistance on both flat water and in waves.
Fuel consumption is further reduced by integrating a novel ORC waste heat generator in the propulsion system. This system further consists of a 3300 kW main engine driving a nozzled controllable pitch propeller running in fully automatic combinator mode. The fuel system will also be suitable for bio blend fuels.
The characteristics of the new Ecobox XL ships are as follows:
- Maximum loading capacity abt. 12.500 DWT;
- Large floor space for project cargoes, including complete movable tween deck, cargo length 100 mtr on tanktop and 112 mtr on tweendecks;
- Two 85 tons cargo cranes;
- Open top notation;
- Iceclass 1A;
- Deckhouse placed on fore ship for better protection of deck cargo and enabling to load oversized items over the stern.
- The Ferus Smit bulbless Canoe type bow, designed to reduce fuel costs and better sustained speed with excellent sea keeping behavior in harsh weather and sea state conditions;
- Tier III, Green Passport;
- ORC waste heat generator installed for further reduction of fuel consumption and ultra low EEDI.